It's the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas will be here before we know it. If your kids are like mine, they LOVE traditions, and the list of "things we HAVE to do" grows every year. There's so much to see and do, and such little time! So, to make it simpler for you, your friends at A-1 Insurance have compiled all of the must-see and must-do holiday activities in Indianapolis, right here, all in one place. In no particular order....because, honestly, it's impossible to pick just one favorite!
1. Best Christmas Light Displays - Our kids LOVE when we surprise them right before bed and tell them to get in the car in their pajamas. We bring hot chocolate and turn up the Christmas music as we stay in the warm car and drive all around town to see the beautiful and creative displays. Check out this Indy With Kids post to easily find all of the best Christmas light displays, mapped out perfectly based on where you live!
Greenwood also has a new walking trail in the Greenwood Amphitheater Park that we plan to visit this year! More info here
2. Winterlights at Newfields is another must-see, stunning light display and our kids' new favorite, that's why it gets it's own space. It's a little more expensive than driving around (free), but well worth the cost. Buy your tickets early!
3. Christmas at the Zoo
Did you know the Indianapolis Zoo was the first zoo to hold a holiday lights event? This classic attraction dates back to 1967 and is a time-honored family tradition in Indy. There's so much to see and do right under the new Bicentennial Pavilion. We love seeing Santa, his reindeer, and walking through the spectacular tunnel of lights!
4. Sullivan's Polar Express
There are many holiday train rides and experiences, but Sullivan's is our local favorite. Recent years have been selling out, so be sure to grab tickets in advance. Check out this list for other holiday train rides in Indianapolis if your kiddos love trains!
5. Children's Museum Jolly Days
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis is always a huge hit, with the giant yule slide and several interactive winter wonderland displays for children of all ages to enjoy!
6. Jingle Rails at the Eiteljorg
This massive G Scale model train winds through a stunning miniature Indianapolis along with major national parks and landmarks. This unique experience is fun for the whole family!
7. Carmel Christkindlmarkt
This newer attraction in the heart of Carmel is a must-see, even for us Southsiders. Be transported to a quaint German town, complete with traditional foods, gifts, and of course an outdoor skating rink. Be sure to check the website for hours and days of operation, as it is not open 7 days a week.
8. The Lights at the Brickyard
This newer light display has added even more to love this year, with philanthropic opportunities to support Riley Children's Hospital and also some out of car experiences like exploring the inside of the Pagoda - you may even see Santa himself!
9. A Merry Prairie Holiday at Conner Prairie
The famous Reynolds Farm Equipment Christmas lights have relocated to Conner Prairie this year as a part of the Merry Prairie Holiday celebration! There are also breathtaking rides and enchanting performances which sure to be among your cherished winter memories for years to come.
10. The Circle of Lights
Last, but certainly not least, is the most well-known Christmas tradition in our beloved city of Indianapolis for 56 years. This year the entire Circle features light displays and even video projection. Our kids love seeing the Nativity and horse-drawn carriages as well. It's not Christmas in Indy if you don't visit the Circle!
There are many more events and things to do all around the greater Indianapolis-area. Leave a comment to let us know your favorite things to do in Indy over the holidays. Also - be sure to check out these other great blog posts with more information on Christmas activities all around town: